Monday, April 24, 2006

Totally Full of Crepe

The perfect breakfast crepe.
Thin, with tiny little holes marking the air bubbles' final, daring escape; A pocked, yet delicate surface. Light in texture. Slightly sweet, but subtle enough in flavor to only act as a canvas upon which the fruits, sauces, syrups and creams are to be showcased.
I do love me some crepes.
But my culinary execution has always been slightly off. Truly far from perfect. I've twisted and tweaked my recipes. I've scratched recipes, wiping them clean from the face of my cookbook, only to be subjugated to an equally paled rendition. And, yes, I've even succumb to watered down, pre-packaged pancake mixes to attempt avoiding my inevitable defeat. But no. Failure, failure, and even more failure. If they had known any better, the French would have sat me in a corner with a dunce's cap long ago. A true disgrace to the ladle and pan.
Though, it is common knowledge crepe making can be an ambitious undertaking. As the French often say, "the first crepe goes to the dog (for it is unsuitable for human consumption)". But then I chime in right after them and say, "so does the second and third". Forget it, "how about the whole darn batch." Much to my Hubby's chagrin, we don't even have a dog. The sorrow runs deep for the dear Hubby's tummy. It must endure so many bad crepes.
Yet, I am not here to lament my ineptitudes in the kitchen, so much as to enlighten the disheartened crepe enthusiasts; to give you all hope. Yes, I have found the good crepe. It is yummy, indeed. And simple to make. Witness (below) a good crepe in action. Well, I guess preparing to go into action.
Oh yeah - and for an added bonus: they're wheat free too. Gotta love it.


Rice Crepes
Rice Crepe
-adapted from bakingsheet

1 c rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1 Tbs oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp sugar

1. Whisk it all together in a big bowl until no lumps remain. It should be fairly water. This is good.
2. Lightly butter a large flat skillet, turn heat to medium high.
3. Using a ladle, pour 1/4 cup (or slightly more) of the batter into the center of the pan.
4. Quickly rotate the pan in a circular motion, to spread batter evenly and in a thin layer.
5. Cook until you see bubbles forming across the crepe, flip. Cook about 30 seconds to a minute longer.
6. Feed it to your dog, then repeat steps 1-5.

Monkey Notes: I like to eat my crepes with vanilla yogurt, strawberries, and powdered sugar. But sour cream and honey are good too. Even a little Nutella with bananas or raspberries, blueberries and maple syrup....the list goes on.
Give it a try and find a favorite. Bon Appetìt!


3 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Little sis said...

Mmmmmm... yummy!

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Yes, little sis. Of all people, you might truly know :)

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i made these for a friend of mine who has a gluten allergy and who loves loves loves pancake, crepes etc. he told me he almost cried when i busted out this recipe cause he didn't think he would really be able to eat anything this tastey again!! he loved it!! thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home