Sunday, April 30, 2006

Belly Sedatives

Soups and sauces are not my fortè. The elusive balancing act between acidity and sweetness stumps me every time. Getting some flavors to 'punch out' while others remain in the backdrop, like a hero and his side kick, make me wonder why they're even fighting crime to begin with.
Case in point: I recently made Jambalaya. The flavor was a sallow and sickly version of the real deal. It felt like a negative meal - know what I mean? Almost like ingesting it only accentuated how hungry you really were; rather than satiating that same hunger.
Soups and stews should be lollygag enducing and sedate you into a post-meal comatose. Not plummet you into post-meal hunger pangs. My jumbalaya made me sad.
So I will NOT be posting it here on my blog. I'll spare you, because I like you.
The Garbanzo Pesto Sauce, on the other hand, was quite a success. I'm posting my recipe as physical proof for any future and possible interrogations. I have evidence that I was able to succeed at the all-elusive Sauces and Soups. My alibi (the hubby), and witnesses (you there) can attest to its existence. You'll just have to cook it, to attest to its taste. So here you go...



Garbanzo Pesto Pasta
Garbanzo Pesto Pasta


4 links pesto sausage (I used Aidells), skin removed
1/2 white onion
1 orange bell pepper (red is good too)
1 tomato
1 bunch of fresh basil
Handful of button mushrooms

1 Tbs olive oil

1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 can of diced tomatoes + half can of water
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar (white or brown)
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp thyme

Parmesan Cheese

1. Roughly chop the first 6 ingredients.
2. Saute those first 6 ingredients in olive oil, until tender.
3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Serve with your favorite pasta and sprinkle with parm.

Monkey Notes:
#1 This can be made either as a soup or sauce. To soup-it-up, just add 3 cups of broth and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
#2 Trader Joes carries gluten free pastas that are made from rice. They're incredibly tasty. Give it a try, if wheat isn't your friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home