Sunday, March 19, 2006

Lilikoi and Mango and Jackfruit, Oh My!

Right now as you read this, there may be a mango quietly lounging in the produce isle of your grocery store. Your local farmer's market may be currently preparing to host your first sighting of the docile lilikoi (or passion fruit) as we speak. And it's possible you have only seen pictures of the oh-so-timid jackfruit in action, but the possibility exists that any day you may suddenly chance upon one. Well folks, BEWARE. Though these tropical fruits may appear harmless at first glance, there are giants among us. Well, figuratively speaking. It's more like "among the Hawaiians".
Let me begin by showing the mango's not-so-quiet side. There was a recent article published about a Kailua-Kona resident receiving a Guinness World Record certificate for the largest mango in the world - about 5 1/2 pounds. Wow, that's some serious chutney waiting to happen.
While sniffing around a bit more on the internet, I noticed that the record for the largest jackfruit in the world (weighing in at just over 74 lbs and 47.75 inches circumference) is also a Kona showboat. Timid? I think not.
"How about the 'docile' lilkoi?", you may be wondering. Well, I found no listing of the passion fruit on the Guinness Book of World Record's website. But, it just so happens that I myself found one while trolling through the Hawaiian terrain. Leaving me to, though somewhat unceremoniously, declare my lilikoi to be the "I drink too much Guinness and that's why I'm so rotund Passion Fruit".
Guinness should be in there somewhere, right? Get it? (sigh) I know, it's weak.
This sucker is enormous, though. And I'm pretty sure it's a passion fruit based on my comparative research (please tell me if I'm wrong. My comparative research spanned a total of 5 minutes.). Click here to see a 'normal' lilikoi fruit. Then see below.

Passion Fruit
Wowza. view more pictures HERE

So there we have it. My behemoth of a fruit. It may eat small children for lunch, but I turned it into a monkey for dessert. Muahahahahaaa!

But before I show you my monkey dessert, allow me to share with you what the hubby purchased from a Hawaiian farmer's market.
Lilikoi Jam
pulverized lilikoi.

Lilikoi-Blueberry Cookie Puffs
sprinkled with almonds
Lilikoi-Blueberry Cookies
Looks like monkey put on a few pounds while I was away. And what's with the almond schmootz on his face?

1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c cornmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, room temp
2/3 c sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 c lilikoi jam (or apricot purèe)
1 1/2 c blueberries, fresh or dried
1/2 c almonds, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In medium bowl, sift flour, cornmeal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Set aside
2. Whip together butter and sugar. Incorporate egg and jam until smooth
3. Add blueberries and slowly pour in the flour mixture.
4. Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and sprinkle with almonds.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Makes 32

Monkey Notes: I noticed these cookies had the bready quality of a muffin (which is why I called them cookie puffs). If you're feeling up to making this treat, go ahead and make them muffins instead. Tell me how they turn out!


So there we have it. Monster Lilikoi defeated by the monkey. What large gargantua shall we devour next? Well, I'm going assume my general audience has probably seen a mango or two and possibly even eaten one in their lifetime. Therefore, I'm going to devote the majority of my next post to the lovely, eh-hem, I mean big 'ol scary Jackfruit. It's oh so interesting, so stay tuned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home