Friday, March 17, 2006

Good-Bye Gallstone, Hello Joe

Kona Joe is one of the largest and most commercially widespread Kona coffee producers around the world. While visiting their trellised estate coffee fields and roastery, we moseyed over to their makeshift coffee shop where hung the following sign:
16 Reasons
Extolling the wonders of a cup of joe - I wonder how much of this is fact.

I'd like to take this time to thank all of the coffee I have consumed for preventing me from getting devastating ailments such as Diabetes type II and Parkinson's Disease. I don't know where I would be without you. Now, in terms of the cavities? We may have to exchange a word or two on that one...

We made our way to another coffee farm and roastery called Kona Pacific that claimed much older ties to the soil than that of Kona Joe's. They used a smaller roasting facility with half the coffee tree acreage, but the taste was slightly richer and fuller than that of Joe's (in my opinion). The one constant we all noticed between each and every 100% Kona coffee roast was the cost. Roughly $40/lb for these beans, give or take a few bones. I can tell you it's good, but I don't know if it's that good..
My suggestion to all of you out there who do not consider yourselves coffee connoiseurs, the difference between a 10% Kona and a 100% is minimal at best. Go for the 10% and use the money you saved to start your own Kona coffee farm. You'll make millions! Just don't forget to thank me later (I take cash and check only).

If you haven't tried the stuff, I think maybe you should. Then go ahead and try the recipe below.
Monkey Notes: For a few more pictures, visit my slideshow. And Happy Birthday Warren!

Kona Coffee Cheesecake
in Custard Cups
Coffee Cream Cheese Custard
Kona Crust
8 oz bag of short bread cookies
3 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs Kona coffee grinds (chocolate mac-nut flavor)
3 Tbs sugar

Cheese Cake Filling
8 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c sugar

Coffee Glaze
1 cup strongly brewed Kona coffee
1/4 c sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Place coffee and sugar in a small saucepan and boil down the liquid for 20 minutes.
2. Blend shortbread in food processor.
3. Mix the ingredients for the crust with your hands in a small bowl.
4. Press into the bottom and sides of 4 custard cups. Place in refrigerator.
5. Blend filling ingredients until well mixed. Set aside
6. Remove custard cups from fridge and pour filling into each.
7. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Stick toothpick in center to make sure they are done. Toothpick should come out clean.
8. Drizzle as little or as much of the coffee syrup on top. Serve with whip cream if you've got it.

5 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Fran said...

This looks so delicious! Now, can you tell me how I can get this spoon out of my monitor?

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous WHM said...

E - Thanks for the Birthday Wish!! Cheesecake looks wonderful tooo!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Fran- There's this trick I learned in college....you'll need a vice grip, some rubber gloves, MacGyver...just teasing. You flatter me with your kindness ;) Thanks!

whm- You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you had a good one!

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Mom said...

Wow, these look so good! Can you make them when we come see you? And, by the way, aren't you glad I didn't listen to all those people who said it would stunt your growth? I just wish it would have helped your teeth, but maybe candy and cookies, not to mention cheesecake, had a heftier impact on those pearly whites going south.Off I go for another cup!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

How right you are, motherly unit! :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home