Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Waxing Physiological : A Mojito Moment

This is good stuff in a jar. Tasty, but left me a bit confused. What's in a Mojito? What's it all about?
Mojito Front
While contemplating the differences between Mojito - the drink, Mojo - my grandma's [Abuela's] Yucca flavoring, and Mojito - the TJ's interpretation of a Cuban flavoring, I reached an epiphany.
Though a somewhat non-sequitur stream of thought, I figured my readers might appreciate my candid real-life randomness.

The food we take into our bodies, the food we don't take into our bodies, and the nutrients our God-given biological makeup require, are amazingly critical to our well-being. And, as of late, I've been feeling the effects of that concept. I've been feeling quite ill. I've felt slightly sick for years. Not so dramatically ill that a doctor is an obvious imperative, but subtly enough to know it could catch up with me.

I could liken it with boiling a frog. You throw it into a pot of cold water, increase the heat a few degrees at a time. The whole time, the frog being unaware it's slowly being turned into dinner. Then KAPLOW! You got yourself a boiled frog.

Fact : My strength and my weakness - I can be incredibly stubborn at times. Stubborn in the fact that I'll maintain pre-conceived principals I've always subscribed myself to and refuse to alter that idea/perception. I have been stubborn about changing my eating habits. And now this has to change.
Yes, gone are the days of wanton junk food binging. No more cookies for breakfast and red vines for dinner [yes, sadly I do it quite often. I am a shameful foodie.]
So now my body is yelling at me, telling me to listen and be kind to it.

I've spoken with friends who are allergic to wheat, dairy, or even sugar. I've known many different people who suffer from variations of auto-immune disease. I even know a few that revolve their diets around heart healthy meals and have to watch their cholesterol intake.
But I would love to hear from all of you readers out there in this microcosmic blog universe, what your experiences with food are. Let's take a dietary detour, if you will.

2 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Brendon said...

Hmmm. It could anything. Gluten. Stress. Junk food. Dairy. Soy. I seem to collect guests who can't eat _something_. But that something always varies. One friend is allergic to garlic. (Every tried to eat out if you're allergic to garlic?) My dear wife is allergic to gluten. I can't drink milk. (Ice cream would rot in my freezer.) But feeling slightly "off" for years is a sign of something not agreeing with you. Frankly, it sounds a little like my dear wife when she inadvertently eats something with gluten in it. So, I don't know. But I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

I'm glad you mentioned it, brendon. I plan on trying a wheat-less approach. And now I will cry quietly in a corner.
but thank you for the blessings :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home