Monday, February 13, 2006

Thai Tea, Demystified

This weekend, I was allotted one free ticket to dine-out anywhere my heart desired. This is what happens when a certain someone decides to play golf all day long instead of spending it with the wifey. Angry monkeys are known to bite!
After mulling over our dining options, we opted for the tried and true - Thai food. Recalling a recent conversation with fellow co-workers regarding the merits of Thai Iced Tea, I decided to take advantage of my present circumstances. I wanted to know what was in this Thai Tea. So, finding an opportune moment with our waitstaff, I asked what ingredients were used in their beverage. She gave me a pensive and quizzical stare. She didn't understand a word I said. Note To Self: do not use uncommon words like 'divulge' when asking someone, unfamiliar with the English language, a question. I don't even think I know what that word means.
After failing to obtain the proprietary recipe from the local Thai joint, I went off into the world wide web to supplement my 'lack-there-of's.

I came across over a dozen different recipes for this tea, and all of them were relatively similar, and simple. Here's what I got, based on the most common denominator.


Thai Iced Tea

Thai Tea

6 cups water
1 1/2 cups Thai tea
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, or more to taste
Crushed ice

Special equipment: tea sock

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place tea in a tea sock, add to the boiling water, remove from the heat, and let steep for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea. Strain the tea into a pitcher. Fill 6 tall glasses with crushed ice and add tea to 3/4 full. Top with condensed milk.

Monkey Notes:
The pictures I took in the restaurant came out blurry from haste. Even without the flash, my hubby was feeling self-conscious and embarrassed. So, out of consideration, I was making it quick: Tourist-Style. Since none of them were decent enough to stand alone, I did some Photoshop-ing and used a stylized picture rendering. Kinda wacky. Whatever works.

3 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Fran said...

So what did you think of the tea? One of my co-workers recently brought the ingredients to work & shared. Her version was delicious.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

I loved it! It just boggles me that the recipe can be so simple: Tea and condensed milk. I assume it has something to do with the quality and type of tea used.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Brendon said...

I love Thai iced tea. But the caffeine! Ouch. With Thai tea, I'm sort of like a moth with a flame. I want it badly, but it burns me up. Yu though.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home