Thursday, February 23, 2006

Swede Balls of Meat

When I get the chance, I like to make use of our city resources by visiting the local library. For any serious library lovers and aficionados out there, this is the place for you. No matter where you're standing in King County, WA - you can be sure there is a library within at least a 5 mile radius. I mention this fact only because it suddenly dawned on me: not only can I check out books, music, and movies...I could be checking out cookbooks too. Duh! Sometimes my brain just isn't twisted on very tightly.
The first (of half a dozen) cookbooks I opened up was 'Just Like Grandma Used To Make' by Lois Wyse. It has perfect comfort food recipes for this time of year. Still rainy, still very cold. So I gave it an old college try. This was literally the first recipe I opened it up to, and I was sold. (altered only slightly...)


Swedish Meatball
Swedish Meatballs
with a Worcestershire Dill sauce

1 lb ground beef
olive oil
1 c onion, diced
1/2 c fresh bread crumbs
1/2 c milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper

Sauce
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1 c beef stock
1 c milk
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp fresh dill
1 tsp parsley
dash garlic powder
salt and pepper

1. In a skillet, heat a bit of oil and sautè onions until soft and golden.
2. In a large bowl, mix beef, onion, and remaining ingredients.
3. Knead well and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
4. Shape meat into small balls and fry on well oiled skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.

Sauce
1. Whisk together flour and butter together in a sauce pan to form a roux. Slowly incorporate stock and milk.
2. Bring to boil and cook for a few minutes.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in seasoning.

In Sweden, the meatballs are accompanied by boiled potatoes. I also noticed other recipes online that served it up with pasta. The hubby turned his into a Swedish meatball sandwich. Just place the meat and sauce on a toasted roll, put on a nice little Swedish ditty to listen to, and enjoy.



3 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Nadim said...

Thanks for letting us post
comments - very cool of you. I work online with my own
muslim matrimonial
website. Check it out if you get the chance. Thanks again!

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Alyssa said...

Don't tell me that's all you ate! It sounds good nevertheless:)I hope to see you soon and maybe you could cook for us (heehee).I love checking out your blog. I check it everyday! Keep up the good work. With lots-o-love...
your little sis

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Thanks, Alys!
Yes, all I ate was one lonely meatball and a stalk of dill (I kid, of course). Glad you're checking in to read my posts. Makes me smile!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home