Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Pomegranates to Shake a Stick At

In no way am I advocating that a person spend his or her hard earned cash on exorbitantly priced foo-foo juices that purport to heal the blind and give a man 20 year old vigor after only 15 ounces. But, it just so happens that I came into an abundance of a certain well known brand of this sort and am trying my darndest to prevent waste. (And by "coming into" I mean that in the most legitimate and un-Godfather-ly kind of way. Fuggeddaboudit.)

So on my quest to prevent waste, I've incorporated pomegranate juice into almost every recipe possible. I'm serious. I'd rinse my vegetables with this stuff if I wasn't convinced it would taste aweful.
So while glancing through Elise's Simply Recipes website I noticed a wonderful cranberry nut bread recipe that seemed perfect for gaining distance towards my desired goal.



Cranberry Nut Bread
Cranberry Walnut Bread

2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dried orange flavored cranberries (from Trader Joe's)

3/4 cup pomegranate juice (i used a pom/mango/apple/etc blend)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten

Pre-heat oven to 350°F

1 Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the cranberries and walnuts.

2 Blend together juice, butter, and egg. Slowly incorporate the flour, cranberry, nut mixture.

3 Pour into a greased 9x5 or 8x4 loaf pan. Bake at for 50 to 60 minutes or until done.

I thought this was a perfect breakfast bread. Fruity, but not too sweet. It was a bit crumbly inside, but the crust was, well, crusty. So the balance of texture was perfect, in my opinion.

And, as always, substitutions are a good idea. The pomegranate tasted wonderful (and gave the bread a nice, bright color), but orange juice was used in the original recipe. Do what you will, but spare your pocket book if you can. Or make your own juice. I'm sure there are some interesting methods for juicing pomengranate seeds out there. They stain like the dickens, so juice while wearing an old tie dye (throw some daisies in your hair for good measure). Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Mom said...

This looks really good. I think I'll be making it - or a variation of it - this weekend.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Elise said...

Hey now there's an idea for pomegranate juice! Though usually we drink ours up too quickly to do anything with it...

;-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home