Friday, February 24, 2006

The Malady of Store-Bought Guac

That store bought, pre-packaged, shelf-life-of-a-twinkie guacamole is nothing short of disgusting and sad. Yet, somehow it manages to creep itself into our refrigerator from time to time.
I beg of you, maybe even on my knees with a tear in my eye, to stop this crime. Guacamole can be good for you. Avocados are packed with some of the best fat that your body needs. Tomatoes and garlic are wonderful sources of antioxidants and other nutrients. Why do some brands have to bastardize such a beautiful thing? It's a mystery I may never fully comprehend. Maybe because there are some people out there (uh-hum, hubby) that still purchase these plastic packages of solidified green goo, that they continue to schlop them out to us.
Here's my solution to the guacastrophe: Homemade, Baby!


Guacamole!
Guacamole
Not-Store-Bought Guac
2 avocados, peel and seeds removed
3 cloves garlic, coarsely diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup fresh salsa
1 tsp lemon juice
4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 oz cream cheese

In a toaster oven, broil the garlic for 2 minutes.
Blend all together with food processor for as much or as little time you like (depending on your consistency preference).
Eat.

I will admit, some store bought brands are actually fantastic and good for you. Trader Joe's has a version that is all organic and lists Hass Avocados as the first ingredient. It simply boggles me that the 'other' brands hardly list avocado as an ingredient at all. What makes it green? I don't know - but it probably doesn't belong in my belly!

1 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger starganz said...

I haven't tried cream cheese or lemon in my guac, but maye that's because I learned to make it in Texas. I have tried some different ingredients, though...for example, ginger, or dried chipotle powder. My basic recipe is:

2 avocados
1 T minced onion
small clove of garlic, minced.
juice from half of lime
1 jalepeno minced (half with and half without seeds)
1 serrano pepper minced with seeds
A sprinkling of red pepper flakes
A bit of fresh black pepper
Sea salt.

Sometimes I'll add a little sugar. or if the mixture is a bit dry a sprinkling of water. I'd stay away from mayo, and now that I think of it I'd probably leave the cream cheese for a cake;)

I usually make guac for parties. Every time I make it everyone eats it up way too fast, and each time I add more and more pepper. That helps, but then the real chili heads figure it out and tuck in even more!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home