Friday, February 17, 2006

Help From the Hubby

In my quest to feel better, healthier and more nutritionally responsible - one of the items I have chosen to sacrifice at the alter of health is wheat. I'm not completely slaughtering it, by any means, but maming it, yes. It's sort of an experiment to see if I feel any difference in the levels of my overall energy and wellness. I haven't decided how long I will abstain from gluten intake, but I assume at least a few weeks to a month. This will be my first challenge.
Oh, and for all who didn't know, but might care: Red Vines have wheat in them. Oy Vey! I might as well sever an arm while I'm at it.

Hubby was kind enough to offer his culinary services last night. When he puts his mind to it, he can acclimate himself to the kitchen like a pro. Score!
Dill Salmon
Blood Orange Salmon

2 Sockeye Salmon filets
Olive Oil
1 small lemon
1 small blood orange
1 bunch fresh dill
dash garlic powder, sage
Salt & Pepper
Bay Leaves

Preheat oven 325 degrees F

1. Place each salmon filet on it's proprietary square of foil.
2. Cover each fish with half the ingredients above.
3. Wrap fish in foil. Cook for 15 minutes

Being true to form, the hubby will not use measuring spoons or cups (contrary to my pleas). So I guesstimated. But salmon tends to be forgiving when it comes to ingredients and their measurement. If it's good quality, less is always more. Of course you can use any type of salmon. We have experimented before by purchasing a more expensive King Salmon along with a less pricey Coho Salmon. We preferred the Coho. Obviously price does not necessarily reflect taste, but more likely the availibilty and difficulty of the catch.

5 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Delicious & healthy looking meal. What a great Hubby! Here's hoping the wheat abstinenece helps. Will be interested to know how you are feeling. But OMGoodness--Red Vines? Who would have thought it?

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wAY TO GO hUBBY, GLAD TO SEE YOU ARE HELPING OUT. ERIKA, WE HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER SOON, BUT WHEAT ABSTINENECE SOUNDS SO HARSH.....TAKE CARE. LOVE ME.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Inst. W. said...

you cahnged your rss feed options, i used to get the whole article... now i only get a few snipets... either way, wow, he can cook too?!?! score one for E, good choice :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Brendon said...

A great experiment! As you know, my DW feels so much better now that we've cut gluten out of her diet. On the one hand it's not the easy at first, on the other hand, it's just not that hard. There's a ton of yummy and easy to prepare stuff to eat. My recipes are all gluten free, and if I can make them, anyone can.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Thank you all for the support.
I always enjoy a good challenge, now and then. Keeps me on my toes. If it were too easy, what would be the point? Right? ;)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home