Saturday, February 18, 2006

Drink Kefir!

That's what the monkey says. And so we must obey. Well, at least listen. I mean, how often do you have a monkey lending you sound advice? Come on.
Kefir Monkey
That's one happy Kefir you got there, Monkey. (or is it the other way around?)

Along my quest for a healthier monkey (me, not the stuffed animal), I've decided a little detox would be in good order.

Cleansing can be achieved in a myriad of ways. One approach requires admittance into an institutional center for a good 'hosing-off' in a 10 x 10 room, with one drain in the center and fully padded walls. While the other, more innocuous method, may include (but certainly not limited to) bathing in clay, homeopathic supplements, and flushing via H2O. It's personal preference, really. And if you're stubborn like me, you may require both. Ok, I'm kidding - it's not that bad.

After hearing enough about this Kefir biz, I decided I needed to give it a personal go.
The side of the bottle offers a nice description of the drink, calling it a 'Probiotic Beverage'. Hmmm, sounds like something you might give a robot to prevent him from system malfunctional. But I suppose one could look at it as the same for humans.
Probiotic bacteria helps maintain a balance of bacteria known as 'gut flora' in the intestinal tract; a small eco-system that must be preserved in the belly for happy digestion.
And talk about cleansing. [Insert: toilet humor]. No really, though. There's a party in my stomach, and everyone's invited. It's a BYOK (Bring Your Own Kefir). [Insert: cheesy laugh track].

Not only is this stuff a charm for turning you into a regular at the old 'El Baño', but it's gluten free AND lactose free. If you have a sensitivity to sugar or you're trying to preserve that shapely figure of yours (guys, you know I'm talking to you), then the Plain variety is perfect.
But like my grandpa always told me, "no sugar, no fat, no da[ng] good."
And, yes, much like yogurt, plain is difficult to appreciate. Luckily it comes in flavors (peach, vanilla, raspberry, etc) to give it more taste appeal. The brand I happened to purchase has a great website with a variety of recipes to try out for kicks.
You can also use it as a substitution where recipes call for sour cream or yogurt, for an added nutritional benefit. Very hip.

So be hip like my fuzzy monkey and I, and drink yourself some Kefir.
Be good to yourself, I say.

2 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Brendon said...

My dear wife loves Kefir. But I have to admit that I've never quite gotten into it.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Yeah. It's an acquired taste, I think. I've been getting creative with it, just to keep my interests peaked. Otherwise, kefir might end up on the side of the road with my Noni and aloe vera juice.
:D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home