Monday, February 20, 2006

Detour Ahead: Coffee Bean Cookies

A slight detour from my health kick. Last week I made a promise to my co-worker, Greg, to bake cookies using his mother's recipe. It would include chocolate covered coffee beans, which are an obsession of his.
Seeing that Greg has taught me the wonders of Photoshop and is helping me design a monkey logo, it is only fitting that I fulfill his chocolate covered dreams by merging the cookies with the beans. Besides, I figured if they didn't turn out - I can blame him. A perfect scapegoat.
But, alas! The cookies were incredible. I mean it (I sware I only had one...).
So Thank You Greg for the lovely idea, and mom's recipe. Aren't moms the best? Where would we be without them? Yeah, smarty pants. Don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question.


Coffee Bean Cookies
Coffee Bean Cookies

2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c shortening
(1) 4 oz box instant chocolate pudding (original calls for vanilla flavor)
1/4 c white sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 c walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 c chocolate covered coffee beans (original calls for chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Cream together shortening, pudding, and sugars until well blended. Add vanilla and eggs.
3. Slowly incorporate flour mix.
4. Add the walnuts. Use your hands at this point. This stuff almost has the consistency of a brownie dough.
5. Roll them into 1-2 inch balls and stuff with one or two coffee beans.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Add one more bean in the center after baking, if you'd like.

Makes 32 cookies




7 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Fran said...

What a great looking recipe. I think my Mom would like these. She loves coffee & chocolate. Yum.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Greg said...

What a great idea for an experiment. ;-) And as the saying goes "DAMN YEAH." Good eats.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cookies were most excellent! I've had 2 so far today, but it's not lunchtime and it's still early in the day, so who knows!

Thanks for cooking the good grub and thanks to Greg for providing the recipe! :)

~Bob

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Mike said...

Chocolate, cookie, and coffee bean-- all at once? This much good shouldn't be packed into a single cookie- I just had one and they are both delicious and addictive.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow it looks like everyone really enjoyed the cookies.....how would those be with Kona coffee beans, we should try that!!!! love me.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Kona coffee beans! You're thinkin' what I was thinkin'. Can't wait!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Cheesey said...

The recipes look great. I know some otheres that will be just as interested and intrigued as I am.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home