Saturday, February 04, 2006

Birthdays To Stop A Heart

Happy Birthday my little Orchid! A year ago, this Valentine's Day, my hubby bought me this beautiful Phalaenopsis Orchid at Trader Joe's. I'm assuming it blossomed a few days before he purchased it. So, much to my surprise, I found a blossom had opened last night. How beautiful it is. Not bad considering the first stem blossomed twice, and this is a whole new stem that started growing about 9 months ago. Most of my previous orchids died after a few months of neglect.
The hubby would like to mention that this orchid's survival success was due to the 'out of love' purchasing methods. Oh, how sweet.
My school of thought would lead me to believe that it was tender care and delicate watering methods that produced such desirable results. A difference of opinion.

Orchid
I don't know how it happened. But it sure is a beaut.

My mother-in-law is often sharing her famous recipes with me. Especially at the beginning of my marriage, when I was a true novice in the kitchen, these were necessary measures to keep a hubby happy.
Here is one of her more popular (and easy) recipes I've adapted to my own repertoire.

Sausage Cheese Biscuit
Sausage Cheese Biscuits

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)

2 C. biscuit baking mix (Bisquick)

3/4 C. water

Cook sausage and drain off fat and cool completely. Mix water and baking mix together, then add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well. Roll into 1 inch balls, place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 min. or till puffed and brown.


This recipe is so simple I was tempted to tamper with it. But I figured I should leave good enough alone. Serves as a wonderful breakfast too. Oh, and in case you were resolving to lose weight (New Years), put it on the back burner, baby! This is high in fat and bad for you, but gosh darn it you've earned it. Yeah! Here's a nifty compromise, be like me and do jumping jacks while it's baking in the oven. That MORE than makes up for it.

2 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look so terrific, I think we'll have them for breakfast and then do 5 miles on the treadmill.....Thanks for reminding me of how good they are. me

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

5 miles! That's some serious sacrifice for sausage, but well worth it. Thanks for the note :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home