Saturday, January 28, 2006

So you want to Meme Me, eh?

This is a case of monkey-gets-tagged, or meme'd, as the kids are calling it these days.
According to answers.com, a meme is:

    A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.
Apparently this meme business is best compared to a game of 'tag'. One person starts a series of questions, ideas, or thoughts, and each person meme'd must respond aptly. This person then continues the process by sending a meme to the next victim(s).
Reminiscent of an email chain, but without lofty promises of lasting love and abundant wealth.

So Brandon, of Something In Season, passed along the meme to yours truly for the next round of "truth or dare" type confessions. The topic? 10 interesting things you didn't know about me. Um, I choose dare, please...

*Note: I just realized I unintentionally turned 'meme' into a verb. I hope this does not offend sensitive parties [mom].


10 (Semi) Interesting Things You Didn't Know About Me:

1. I'm a twirler and a nibbler. I twirl my hair and nibble on my fingers. Now, if you've spent any time with me, this would NOT qualify as one of the '10 things you didn't know about me", but seeing that all of you out there in this Bloggaverse can't see me, this is news - and an annoying habit.

2. I'm not a big eater. I hate pictures. But here I am cooking and clicking away. What's happening to me??

3. I studied Ethnomusicology at UCLA. Please don't ask me what that means. I'm still trying to figure out what I spent those 4 years of my life actually learning.

4. Heidi Fleiss once asked me if my band would perform at a party of hers. Seriously. No joke. Now the question is : did I?.....(are you kidding me? It's Heidi Fleiss. Creepy)

5. I traveled through Europe alone for a month with nothing but a pair of bowling shoes, 10 pounds of clothing in my bag, and a lonely planet book. I survived. And have stories to boot.

6. I was the house sound engineer for a band called 'Kara's Flowers' while in college. They might be better known as Maroon 5 to all of the youngin's out there. My only claim to fame. And now I'll hang my head.

7. My hubby is my hero. We met one day when a creepy old man called 'Cotton' refused to leave me alone. I noticed the hubbie-to-be's kind demeanor and mouthed 'Help Me' to him. In no time he was there to rescue me from the nefarious Cotton, and whisk me off to safety. (put-putit-TAA!! The trumpets sounded) Or something like that. We got married 8 months later.

8. I can make noises just like a dolphin, on command. It's a lovely party favor and great for breaking the ice in a stale crowd. Or, just annoy a neighbor. You should try it some time.

9. When I was younger, my eating habits were less than sophisticated. I once ate so many carrots, I literally turned orange. On occasion, my mother would find me in the backyard sucking on lemons or eating dirt from the potted living room plants. So, if you were entertaining the idea of whipping up one of my recipes, you may want to sit on that. Oh yes, and refer to item #2, just for good measure.

10. And last, but certainly not least: my hubby and I are both sober alcoholics - clean and happy for almost half a year. It's been a tough road getting here, but life is too sweet to drink it away.


And now I meme:

The Amateur Gourmet
Let's hope he's game.

4 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Brendon said...

Wow, much more interesting than mine! When did you study ethnomusicology at UCLA? And what sort of a band was it? Punk or Polka?

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Mom said...

Why would you think I'd have a problem with using language creatively - especially a word I've never heard or read before?

I'm glad your recipes venture outside of the "homemade macaroni and cheese" you'd always want for dinner as a child. I'm just hoping you're eating some of these scrumptious looking entrees and desserts and not just feeding them to hubby.

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous jay said...

you're being modest! so many more wonderful things people should know about you.

rarely do we get to see people grow up into beautiful people. glad i was able to meet you when I did and have been able to keep in touch... helps that your dad and i are buddies ;)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger MonkeyBites said...

Speaking of Polka, I know this lovely little ditty...but it involves drinking beer and kissing many wives, so we'll forget about it.
The band's name was Loader(don't ask). It was pseudo rock/pop. No good, really. We did do a lovely cover of 'Free Bird', though. You can get away with so much when you're young.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home