Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My cookie is better than yours...

I think I just heard Tom Cruise call me glib.

In my highly inexperienced attempt to make Oatmeal Coconut cookies, I determined that my understanding of the Great Cookie was insufficient at best.

Fielding my baked goods to coworkers and the hubby, I learned that moist and chewy are not necessarily optimal cookie conditions for every palate. The taste itself was excellent - and everyone seemed to enjoy the crunchy, crispiness of the cookie. But personally, my teeth felt threatened by the cookie's hard texture. The adjectives "soft and chewy" just seem fitting with the word cookie trailing behind. So I did some googling and found this handy resource.

Check out the modifications I plan to make on my next attempt.
Coconut Cookies

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies


-from allrecipes.com

  • 1 1/4 cups butter, softened Let's try Crisco!
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour Pastry Flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda POWDER
  • 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips

Based on my finding in that article, it appears these few ingredient alterations will get me that fluffy, chewy texture I so desire. In terms of my technique - I've got other mods that might help out. Next time, I'll patiently cream my Crisco and sugar before adding the other ingredients. I had no idea how important that is in allowing the baking powder to work its magic.

I also like the idea of chilling the dough in the fridge before baking. Keeps the cookies fluffier.

I'll update you on ROUND 2: The Return of The Great Cookie Challenge when I get to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home