Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Meadow Muffins or Cowpies?

My co-worker has informed me that the photo taken for this particular post looks much like cow poo on a bed of grass. What a keen observer he is. So approach with caution, if you must. But I'll stand by my turkey loaf with dignity and pride when I say it tastes mighty good. There's nothing to be ashamed of , my little loaf. Don't let cow poo get you down.

Go ahead, scroll down and look for yourself. Then scroll back up and keep reading. Good job.

Fennel seed is a spice I just recently purchased and have never before had the privilege of using. I know the spice, I've eaten it in many Italian dishes, but I've never forged a true relationship with it. Sage is also one of those herbs I've only recently become acquainted with. It reminds me of thanksgiving (stuffing), but now that I've grown comfortable with it, I use it whenever the chance presents itself.

Fennel has a spicy (but not hot) quality about it, while Sage has a sort of woodsy undertone. Hard to explain, but the combo is fantastic.

The recipe I found was actually for sausage, but I decided to turn it into a 'turkey loaf' instead. A lot less work. Ok, purge the cowpie images from your head before you continue. Thanks.

Turkey Loaf
Turkey Loaf

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 c onion, diced
1 apple, diced
1 lb ground turkey
1 small egg, beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs (about 1 1/2 bread slices)
2 Tbs. heavy cream
1 tsp sage
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1. Place oil in a saute pan on medium heat. Cook the onions and apples until tender (about 10 min.). Set aside to cool
2. In a medium bowl, mix the spices, herbs, cream and turkey together. Add the onion and apple.
3. Place mixture into a loaf pan and cover with tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Take foil off and bake for another 10 minutes. Drain excess fat from pan, if necessary.
4. I served it on a bed of raw spinach. By the time we ate, the spinach was slightly cooked. Very good stuff.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home