Saturday, January 14, 2006

Crying Over Spoiled Milk

One of my favorite challenges is taking a variety of ingredients that are just minutes from turning bad, and making something delicious with them. It's my own twist on the Paper Chef contest.
I hate waste, especially when food is involved. So before my naturally sour buttermilk decided to sour in a less savory fashion, i had at it with a bowl and whisk. I show no mercy.

Next, I tackled a tough one: heavy cream. Expiration: 1/11/06. Hmmm, 3 days old. I heavily pondered it's fate. In the throes of indecision, I decided to sniff it. Then I sniffed it again. Then I wondered if I even knew what heavy whipping cream was supposed to smell like. Then I had my husband sniff it. Then had him sniff it again.
The final verdict: I used it. And I don't even regret it (well, at least not yet).
I love livin' on the edge...

Resting just on the fringe of foul-dom, here's what became of our two ingredients.


Buttermilk Biscuits with Bell Pepper Gravy

Buttermilk Biscuits

Buttermilk Biscuits -found on Epicurious

  • 3 cups Pastry Flour (I swear by this stuff! It makes a difference)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • Set the oven at 425 degrees F.
    1. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Work the butter into the flour until it is in even pieces about the size of a pea. Gently stir in the buttermilk to make a loose dough.
    2. Turn the dough out and pat until it is a 3/4-inch thickness. Use a round cutter to make 2 to 3 inch circles. Bake for 12 minutes

    Bell Pepper Gravy - adapted from Food Network

  • 1 Vidalia Onion, halved
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Black Pepper

  • 1. Cover Onion and Bell Pepper in olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper and place on pan, cut side down. Broil for 10 minutes in toaster oven.Let cool and dice. Set aside.
    2. Melt butter in a skillet and stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, cream, remainder salt, basil, and Creole seasoning. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home